CARSON LEAD TEAM

Monday, August 28, 2006

What's with the BLOG?
The intent of this blog is for us to be able to communicate during the course of the day/week without actually having to physically get together. The blog should be, it better be, a great instrument to get feedback and some decision making accomplished in a short amount of time. The intent of this blog is that it be used exclusively by the Carson Lead Team. Although there obviously won't be anything done that others shouldn't see, I do want this to be a tool where only the Carson Lead Team is offering discussion, concerns, ideas, feedback, information, a critical lens, etc. Others viewing this site mid-conversation may end up with only a partial version of the process followed or how a decision was derived since they will not recieve information sent out in hard copy or be in on the group conversations. Conversations with non-lead team members is certainly supported and encouraged, but I ask that it be you who posts or comments on this site only. My intent is to also have a separate blog that is running for parents and students by mid September.

Who is the Lead Team?
The lead team is designed to work on the school side of things. If a parent, PTA member, or community member would like to present ideas, concerns, get clarification, etc. then they are to go through the planning principal for each site; Carson Elementary and Edgerton Elementary. If it is a parent, they are encouraged to work through their identified PTA's for this year as a starting point. If the focus is related to neighborhood impact then the first stop would be the home owners association if one is in place.

On the right hand column is a link titled Lead Team Members. Click on it to learn something about your colleagues and to add your own information. Please feel comfortable in adding as much or as little as you like. I'm thinking a couple of photos and whatever info you would like to share with us is great. If you're interested just send it to me via email and I will post it for you. I will send out a template to help with a common format (not required to stick to it).

What have I been up to this summer?
Hopefully, your summer had more relaxation than mine. I spent the month of July focusing on secondary summer school with Kevin Hampton. We shared a Secondary Co-Principalship. The summer school was held at Rogers from July 5-August 4th. It was intense but very rewarding work! However, I did have an opportunity to begin the work of the Planning Principal. The work included teaming with Guy Kovacs. Below is a taste of what I have been doing:


  • worked with Lynne Rosellini and Guy Kovacs to identify Lead Team
  • worked with Guy to develop and submit a budget to support the work of the Lead Team
  • began attending Carson site meetings on a weekly basis
  • met with "Lee the Architect" and John Ovitt from BLRB to get an overview of the format of the building and rationale for what we have, where it is, and why it's that color
  • met with John Ovitt and Tom Shields to get informed about the capital projects budget I will be overseeing, what has been spent so far, what's left, and the perameters of how it can be spent
  • met regulary and walked the site with John Ovitt. These meetings are becoming more frequent and I anticipate meeting with John multiple times each week

What am I anticipating doing this September? In addition to increasing my Carson on-site work and beginning work with the Lead Team, I expect to be at one or two of the sites that we will be drawing our students from on a daily basis (Brouillet, Firgrove, and Zeiger). The expectation is that I will begin to develop relationships with our future student body and make connections with the parents at each site in preparation for the work that needs to be accomplished with the PTA groups this year.

What do I do at the Carson Site Meetings? Well, I listen a lot. It is essentially an update from the different groups so that they are all on the same page. There is an actual agenda and the attendees usually include the following groups: PSD Project Manager and others as needed, BLRB Architecs, General Contractor, engineers/consultants as needed, civil engineer, etc. Due to my participation we are currently revisiting the location of some of the trees that will be planted due to potential interference with supervision, inclusion of a track (not currently part of the plan), and adding a retaining barrier to the playshed due to the fact that the ground slopes significantly, addition of some benches. Guy and I also gave input towards carving out a small copy room on the second floor (no work room on the second floor currently).

What type of work is ahead? The building itself is planned out. Although there will be change orders, required modifications that may come with choices, etc. the building itself is planned out and set. Our work will truly focus on building a staff and student community that includes parent and community partnerships. I am very excited by the fact that we are going to be creating a whole new school culture together!

So, let's get started! Please go to the Carson Mascot & Colors link on the upper right hand side to see what our first task is...

2 Comments:

  • Great Start

    By Blogger Dr. Glenn E. Malone, at 8:55 AM  

  • Mr. G., aka "McGregor", is an overachiever. I am finding it difficult to keep up. Way to go boss - everything is looking great. I am fortunate to be working with such a dedicated, kind and gifted educator. It is going to be a great year!

    By Blogger Principal Kovacs, at 3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home